Share Purchase Agreement: single company, conditional
Conditional Share Purchase Agreement for the purchase of a company which is not part of a group of companies from a single seller
What are the main features of a Share Purchase Agreement?
The Share Purchase Agreement (SPA) is the principal legal document for a share purchase transaction.
The first draft SPA is usually prepared by the buyer. An exception is in the case of a competitive auction process, where the seller may provide a draft SPA for review and comment by the competing bidders for the company.
The main features of an SPA are:
- sale and purchase: the mechanics for the sale and purchase of the target company shares and closing of the transaction
- conditions: any conditions that need to be satisfied prior to closing
- consideration: the consideration to be paid by the buyer, including the form of consideration (cash, shares or a combination), upfront consideration paid on closing, deferred consideration, earnout consideration and adjustment for the net assets of the target company on the business of completion accounts
- warranties: warranties from the seller about the target company, its business, finances, assets, intellectual property, contracts, liabilities and tax history
- indemnities: any specific indemnities identified during the due diligence and disclosure process and, usually, a tax indemnity relating to pre-closing tax liabilities and compliance
- restrictive covenants: covenants prohibiting the seller from competing with the target company and soliciting the target company’s customers, suppliers and employees for a period following closing of the transaction
About this Share Purchase Agreement
This Share Purchase Agreement is for the purchase of a group of companies from a single seller.
The document is suitable for a transaction on the following terms:
- signature of the agreement with completion of the acquisition being subject to the satisfaction of one or more closing conditions
- payment of the entire consideration in cash at completion
- full-form SPA with 24 clauses and 5 schedules over 37 pages
- process for the sale and purchase of shares and completion deliverables
- closing of the transaction being subject to the satisfaction of one or more closing conditions
- obligations of the seller relating to the conduct of the business of the company prior to closing
- warranties from the seller relating to the target group
- seller limitations from liability under the warranties
- provision for indemnities for specific issues
- restrictive covenants from the seller
- tax covenant for pre-completion tax liabilities
As with all of our document templates, your purchase will include access to clear explanatory guidance on the document and its use.
All Paper Rock legal templates are written by highly qualified English lawyers that are currently practising in the field of commercial and corporate law. The templates you download here reflect the same quality as if you’d instructed our lawyers to draft them for you. They also write all our document descriptions so you can rest assured every bit of information is legally accurate up to date.
Whatever your method of purchase, there is no limit to the number of times you can download your templates. However, many customers prefer to invest in an annual subscription. This offers exceptional value with unlimited downloads from our entire document library.
The Paper Rock team is available to answer questions via Live Chat during UK business hours. When live chat is unavailable, email email@example.com. We aim to respond to your emails within a 24-hour period. We also encourage you to ask questions via our social channels.